One thing this girl will never miss out on is breakfast and trust me, you’re welcome. I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every single morning, all year round. I heart oatmeal, especially when I have the chance to slow simmer the steel-cut variety with cinnamon and a chopped up apple or something. But alas, that opportunity rarely ever presents itself. (Partly to blame? The other things I will never miss: styling hair, applying makeup, etc. And again, you’re welcome.)
Because my mornings are super busy and because I refuse to skip my morning bowl of oats and because I refuse to eat plain-old boring oats…I present to you…my latest yummy oatmeal mix-in! This is the perfect blend of cozy yumminess to enjoy on those busy weekday mornings. Plus, it tastes like pie. And if you ask me, you can never have too much of a healthy breakfast that just so happens to taste like pie.
HEALTHY AUTUMN OATMEAL MIX-IN
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom (or allspice or nutmeg)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large peaches (thinly sliced)
- 2 plums (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Combine the juice (or wine!), water, honey, vinegar and vanilla. Bring to a boil.Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add spices and stir. Add sliced fruit and raisins. Stir and cover.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove cover. Let simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Syrup will thicken.
- Pour into jar and store in refrigerator for up to five days.
EASY WEEKDAY OATS
- In a large bowl, microwave 1/3 cup whole rolled oats and 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds with 1/2 cup water for 2 minutes. Stir. (Don’t worry that it’s dry…you’ll be adding the fruit in its syrup!)
- Add 1/2 cup (or more…it’s that delicious!) of the mix-in and microwave for 1 minute more, until warm.
- If you’re feeling fancy, top with chopped walnuts.
In less time than it takes your coffee to percolate, you’ll have a yummy, healthy, autumn-inspired bowl of cozy-warm goodness to start out your day.