T gave me that nickname, and I’m okay with it, because anyone who’s dealt with patching plaster deserves a superhero nickname. When we first gutted out the kitchen, we ended up with pretty damaged walls, especially where the tile back splash used to be adhered (with Liquid Nails!).
Here’s a glimpse at what we had to deal with:
This was the surface under the back splash (unpatched on the left):
I used a premixed plaster patching compound and several different sizes of spatulas. Some spots required mesh patches. This particular spot required three layers of mesh patching:
The important thing to remember is to sand really well between each layer of plaster. It’s better to apply many very thin layers than one or two thick ones.
It took me about three days to prepare the walls for primer paint. I went through a gallon and a half of compound. A good, fine-grit sanding block is worth its weight in gold. Soon enough the walls looked like this:
A weekend of demo, a long weekend of plaster patching, a day 0r two of priming and the walls were ready for rebuilding a kitchen. It was a lot of work but it’s worth it and it’s over now. Happy day!