We’ve received some questions about the mold in the basement laundry room that we mention here. It’s understandable that you’d be concerned about us living in a house with a mold problem, so we’d like to address two things:
- We are not living in the house (we’re working on it during the weekends since Teresa currently works from her home office in another city).
- There is not a mold “problem” in our house, which I’ll explain.
One lesson we’ve learned over the past couple of months is that with some houses, there are projects that have to be done before you can actually move in and start living. Our little house on the corner is one of those houses. And the projects we’re talking about don’t include smudging, although T and I bought a nice little bundle of California White Sage during our trip to Los Angeles over Thanksgiving, which Teresa talks about here. No, in our house, mold removal was one of those must-do-before-you-can-move-in projects.
While there was mold in the basement laundry room hiding behind the contact paper wallpapering job on the unfinished drywall, our inspector informed us that we did not have a “problem” in the sense that the mold was not in the cement walls behind the framing that held the drywall. We discussed the process of testing for mold type and remediation options. Upon closer inspection, our inspector was also able to tell us that moisture had not been a problem in any other room, or even on the other side of the laundry room. Our mold was contained to just the bottom bits of the drywall and some of the framing. This was a huge relief (and definitely a factor in our decision to not back out of this house).
So, to protect the health of my little T and our Chihuahua, I did what any demo-loving man would do. Wearing an appropriate mask and eye protection, I took a sledge hammer to the laundry room. I didn’t just take out the moldy bits…I tore out every bit of drywall AND the framing (none of which was structural).
And then, because I was in such a good mood (who doesn’t love unsupervised destruction?), I removed the dropped ceiling to expose the inner workings of the plumbing/electrical wiring for both the laundry room and the kitchen above.
Fortunately, T loves it this way. Well, not exactly the way it looks right now…she loves the idea of a clean, utilitarian space where we can easily identify and get to wiring, etc. when necessary. So I won’t have to re-frame/drywall.
I scoured the entire room with a fungicide (also wearing a mask and with every window in the house open) and then rinsed the room down with water (I heart my wet/dry vac).
Soon enough, I’ll seal the cement walls and floor so the room will have a clean, whitewashed feeling. Don’t worry! The laundry room will soon be finished and we’ll be wearing clean clothes in no time! More pictures to come!